Friday 31 May 2013

Teeth

TeethTeeth by Hannah Moskowitz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have never read a novel by Hannah Moskowitz before (I know, shame on me). I kept seeing five-star ratings and glowing reviews for her books, especially Gone, Gone, Gone. I wanted to read her books, but I was hesitant buying one of them. I wanted to read an excerpt or something first, because what if I wouldn't like it? Then I'd have bought a book I hated, spent money on something I don't want. But after seeing like billions of reviews gushing over Hannah Moskowitz, I knew I had to do it. I had to buy a book written by her.

Well, it didn't disappoint. I absolutely loved Teeth. Why? Well, let me tell you...

The writing

Oh God, how I loved her writing. There's something about it that makes the story real, even if it's about magic fish. It's raw and has a way doing some sort of surprise attack. You let your attention falter for a moment.. and BAM there it is, her writing has slammed into your heart and now it's lying on the floor in little pieces.

The characters

This is were Teeth really shined for me. Her characters are so complex and flawed, so real and heartbreaking. Two lonely and broken boys, so different and so the same. I loved all of them. Teeth, oh Teeth. He's really slap-worthy at times, but I loved him. I absolutely loved him. It's a shame he isn't real. *cries*

I would like to talk about the description of the book.

Be careful what you believe in.

Rudy’s life is flipped upside-down when his family moves to a remote island in a last attempt to save his sick younger brother. With nothing to do but worry, Rudy sinks deeper and deeper into loneliness and lies awake at night listening to the screams of the ocean beneath his family’s rickety house.


Okay, so far, this is all right. But then:

Then he meets Diana, who makes him wonder what he even knows about love, and Teeth, who makes him question what he knows about anything.

I might be the only one, but I don't think this is true. He does hook up with Diana, but I didn't have the idea he was wondering about love. At all. Instead, he admits he doesn't really feel anything for her. So, in my opinion, that's not correct.

In short, I loved this. I really loved this. And yes, I am going to buy her other books too. Like soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...