Monday 21 October 2013

Review: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.





Title: The Lighting Thief
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: Percy Jackson #1
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication Date: April 1st 2006

Rating: 4.5 stars

Thoughts: 

"Remarkable, really, the lengths to which humans will go to fit things into their version of reality."
I'm really late to the party with this one, I have to say. I mean, just look at that publication date! Somehow, I never got around to read this when it was being published, and then my interest just sort of... faded. Other books came out, I had things to do... You know how it goes. This was the book that everyone had read but me, and I didn't mind it all that much. This all was before I discovered the blogosphere. Then I found Melanie's blog (YA Midnight Reads), and boy let me tell you. Mel is like the ultimate fangirl for this series. I can say without a doubt that this must be her favorite series of all time. Her fangirling got to me, and I decided it was time for me to read this. At last.

And I'm so glad I did! I can describe The Lightning Thief in three words: fun, fun, fun! Even though it has close to 400 pages, it's such a quick read. From the first page, Percy ia likeable amd believable twelve-year-old, and he's a really fun narrator. The writing isn't very sophisticated or flowery, and it fitted the novel perfectly. After all, what twelve year old boy talks in a very well-thought and extensive manner?

I liked almost all the characters, and most of them were fleshed out well. I especially liked Annabeth! She's the smart girl who isn't too smart for her age, she's fun, she's a great friend. I really loved her. (And yep, I can totally see myself shipping Percabeth in the future.) Talking about shipping, there was no romance in this book. I had to make that bold because it almost never happens nowadays! I really liked that, because I felt the characters weren't ready for a romance yet and I don't think the book needs one/ can handle one. Enough is happening as it is! I really hope we get to see some amazing Percabeth chemistry in the future though. (Also, I've always wanted to say Percabeth. Percabeth Percabeth PERCABETH. There you go. It's a fun thing to say!!)

This book is action-packed. Never a dull moment! Percy, Annabeth and Grover go from one danger to another, from one trap to the next. It really hooked me and I basically couldn't stop reading! I really loved to see all teh mythical creatures they encountered and the way they handled it. The only thing I didn't really like, or that wasn't realistic, is that they were never wounded in any way. I mean, they could have gotten at least a scratch (apart from that one at the very end of the novel). Although I must say, I didn't really care THAT much about it. The book was so much fun that I was too busy having fun and speed-reading to think critically!

I have one minor complaint and that is the way the backstories of certain characters were handled. Some were okay, but others felt really info-dumpey (that is a word, btw). Percy introduces us to the characters and then gives us a speech about their past that lasts a couple of pages. I feel that could have been done more smoothly, but it was really a minor thing that didn't detract from my enjoyment of the novel.

In all, this was just plain old fun! If you're looking for a fresh, action-packed read, look no further. Despite its length, it's a really quick read and it left me craving for more. Good thing I already bought the other four books then, mwhahaha!

6 comments:

  1. OMG PERCABETH FEEEELS. This is MG, so the romance is very slow... *covers mouth from saying anything else* Anywho, I'm so so joyed that you loved this! This book is packed with action--love it.

    Fantastic review, Celine! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get those FEEEEELS!

    Thank you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES you finally read it, good on you and Mel for being the ultimate enabler lol. I loved thi series, felt like I inhaled it. I still haven't read Heroes of Olympus though, even though everyone tells me too. Glad you enjoyed it Celine, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm really happy I loved it too! I hope you enjoy Heroes of Olympus, if you get to it :) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. PEEEEEEEEEEEERCABETH!
    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can't wait to get real shippy feels :D

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...